Job Function Technician
Education Level GED/High School
Schedule Preference Weekday
Experience Level Entry Level
Job Start Month February 2022
Job Available Until Month Year round
Benefits• Competitive salary • Ongoing training programs • Up to 4 weeks paid vacation and 6 additional public holidays off a year • Health Insurance • Optional Dental Insurance • AFLAC • Life Insurance • Incentive bonuses above hourly rate • Paid company uniforms • Paid Tools Account • Housing options available • Company vehicle for qualifying positions • $2500 sign on bonus for licensed journeyman plumber or NATE certified heat tech
Join our family and come work, play and live in the beautiful Colorado Rockies!
Whether you enjoy skiing, snowmobiling, fishing or hiking, Grand County is your opportunity for adventure.
Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating Company is a family-owned company that has been in continuous operation for over 100 years! We’ve been serving the plumbing and heating needs of Grand County since Gus Spitzmiller, a traveling plumber, homesteaded in the Grand Lake area around 1906.
His son, Gordon Spitzmiller, carried on the business upon Gus’s retirement. Frank Appelhans came to work for Gordon in 1973. Frank took over sole ownership upon Gordon’s passing in 1990. Travis and Melissa Appelhans continue to carry on the Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating tradition.
Today, Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating is a leader in the community offering: plumbing and heating services, water treatment, well water systems and drain services. Our passion is caring for our community, team members and clients.
We are proud to have been voted best plumbing company in Grand County for over 10 years.
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training programs
- Up to 4 weeks paid vacation and 6 additional public holidays off a year
- Health Insurance
- Optional Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Incentive bonuses above hourly rate
- Paid company uniforms
- Paid Tools Account
- Housing options available
- Company vehicle for qualifying positions
- $2500 sign on bonus for licensed journeyman plumber or NATE certified heat tech
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The essential function of the apprentice is to complete general heating/boiler work under the direction of a Lead Technician or Service Technician. Perform repairs and installation that meet or exceed Quality Control Standards. Communicate with the Lead Technician or Service Technician to ensure that jobs are completed in a timely manner and to the customers’ satisfaction. Work in a manner that ensures installation and service of equipment and system are completed in a professional manner in compliance with current code regulations and manufacture’s requirements. Focus on customer service and delivering more than what was expected. This includes working with the Lead Technician or Service technician and other team members to deliver a consistent quality product. The Apprentice has an understanding of company policies and adheres to such. Has a proactive stance on Safety and reports any concerns or violations immediately to the Human Resources Department or Project Manager.
*Note: Depending on company workload and our customer’s needs, this position may be required to support both the Install and Service departments. This support may come in the form of installing plumbing and heating system retrofits and replacements
- Be dependable, punctual and arrive at work with a positive attitude
- Arrive each day with a clean uniform, professional appearance and be ready to work. Be well groomed and clean shaved.
- Take responsibility appropriate for the position and the pay
- Accurately account for materials used
- Accurately record daily timesheets and turn in daily
- Report safety, quality or employee concerns in a timely manner
- Do not steal, this includes scrap material
- Be accountable to your position and the results from your work
- Complete work in time allotted or timely communicate the reasons work cannot be completed in the time frame allotted as well as the time and resource required to complete the work.
- Do not smoke on the customer’s property or take frequent “smoke breaks”
- Invest in yourself and your education. Take time to study the code, read a technical article, participate in company provided on-line training, read a installation manual on your own time if you feel it will make you more successful at your job.
- Respect our customer’s homes and their environments
- Do good work…. The kind of work a consumer will immediately recognize as good quality, craftsmanship or professionalism.
- Give great customer service
- Communicate with your peers, supervisor and management
- Arrive at work prepared to work outdoors with the proper clothing or in a remote location where lunch and drink may not be available to purchase.
- Being flexible and understanding schedule changes due to customer needs, emergencies or staffing needs
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This individual must be willing to pursue, develop and participate in continuing education.
The apprentice must be goal oriented, self-starting and energetic. This individual must be mechanically inclined, consistent, accurate and reliable, as the position requires detailed tasks. This position requires flexibility and the ability to multi task. The Apprentice must be team oriented and work well with others in a diversity of settings while maintaining an open attitude of learning.
Must be aware of local plumbing codes and be able to apply them in a practical manner on each job with assistance. Capable of plumbing techniques such as soldering, pipe threading, drain cleaning, fixture installation, gas leak testing and repair. Must be able to work with coworkers, including collaboration with senior, support and field personnel to get the job done correctly and in the best interest of our customers, while abiding by company policies. Must present pleasant demeanor and be able to demonstrate good customer empathy.
Education and/or Experience
Required: A high school diploma or equivalent.
A minimum of two years experience including hands on training and or plumbing work is required.
Must be able to read and write English well enough to read and prepare invoices time sheets and proposals.
Must be able to successfully complete mathematical aptitude evaluation.
Must be capable of applying sound business judgment to all decisions.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly requires sitting, walking, bending, and lifting for prolonged periods of time.
The employee must have a full range of body movements including the use of hands feet and fingers to handle or feel objects and must be capable of bending, reaching, and crouching. Able to handle or feel objects and use tools and equipment and must be capable of bending, reaching, crouching, climbing and crawling.
Must have command of all five senses sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus. Must hear and speak well enough to conduct business over the telephone or face to face for long periods of time.
Must be able to lift up to 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will require working indoors and outdoors in various climate conditions ranging from very cold construction sites with snow to respecting the interior of our service and install customers’ homes. This includes attics, crawl spaces, and confined locations. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Typical workweek is eight (8) to ten (10) hour workdays five (5) days per week with regular weekend work, as well as early and/or late weekday meetings/trainings with as needed.
The Apprentice is accountable to the Lead Plumber/Service Technician for all aspects of his/her job. The Apprentice must meet or exceed company minimums set for various incentive programs if in place. The Apprentice must maintain an Overall Evaluation of “Meets Expectations” on Performance Appraisals.