Job Function Landscaper
Education Level Not Specified
Schedule Preference Flexible
Experience Level Entry Level
Job Start Month May 2021
Job Available Until Month June 2021
BenefitsPerks & Benefits: There’s more than a free season pass waiting for you! You don’t just get a job at Winter Park, you get an experience and a lifestyle. As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy a variety of perks and benefits that are available to our year-round and seasonal employees. Some examples include: Free season pass to Winter Park Season and free access to all fifteen Alterra Resorts throughout North America. Discounted tickets for your friends & family Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short term & long-term disability insurance, EAP, HSAs, FSAs for eligible employees 401(k) plan with generous company match for all employees Paid parental leave of up to 6 weeks for eligible employees Generous food & beverage and retail discounts, Onsite employee childcare based on availability, discounted equipment rentals and plenty of opportunities for growth, advancement & year-round employment! Don't worry the uniforms are provided!
WINTER PARK RESORT OVERVIEW:
Who We Are: At just 67 miles away, Winter Park is the closest major mountain destination to Denver. Don’t be fooled by our convenient location, though… you’ll feel remotely tucked away in our high-country corner of the Rockies. With easy access to 765,000 acres of public land, Winter Park is home to endless adventures and an unparalleled and unfiltered Colorado experience. Whether you are fulfilling a lifelong dream to work at a ski resort or you are just wanting a change of scene, we have great jobs and an awesome experience waiting for you!
Who We Are Looking For: Winter Park Resort is a place for mountain lovers, adventure seekers, and outdoor explorers. A place to chase new experiences, marvel at the unexpected, and discover the adventure that will keep you coming back for more. Whether you are looking to have your first taste of a winter season in the Rockies or to build a long-term career, we have something for everyone. We work to play… Are you in?
Perks & Benefits: There’s more than a free season pass waiting for you! You don’t just get a job at Winter Park, you get an experience and a lifestyle. As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy a variety of perks and benefits that are available to our year-round and seasonal employees. Some examples include:
- Free season pass to Winter Park Season and free access to all fifteen Alterra Resorts throughout North America.
- Discounted tickets for your friends & family
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short term & long-term disability insurance, EAP, HSAs, FSAs for eligible employees
- 401(k) plan with generous company match for all employees
- Paid parental leave of up to 6 weeks for eligible employees
- Generous food & beverage and retail discounts,
- Onsite employee childcare based on availability, discounted equipment rentals and plenty of opportunities for growth, advancement & year-round employment! Don’t worry the uniforms are provided!
Performs all tasks related to creating and maintaining WPR ornamental landscape program. S/He is responsible for assisting the Head Gardener with ordering, planning and design, and all tasks necessary to prepare beds, planters, and baskets and planting and maintenance of annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, and turf.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Assist with planning and organizing annuals, perennials, shrubs, tree, basket, and planters for planting & placement.
- Remove winter debris and prepare beds and planters for planting.
- Prepare new beds and revitalizes existing beds.
- Select plants from retail greenhouse, perform all tasks to plant and maintain baskets, planters and plant inventory in greenhouse. Responsibility to include 1000 dozen plants, 50+ baskets and 40+ planters.
- Perform all weeding, watering, trimming, edging, soil enhancement, and fertilizing tasks necessary to maintain all plants, trees, and turf. Apply fertilizer and herbicides as necessary.
- Prune, pinch, transplant, and cull ornamental plants, shrubs and trees.
- Monitor for pests and disease, and apply pesticides/fungicides as needed.
- Monitor beds and turf areas for proper moisture.
- Prepare damaged turf and wild flower areas for reseeding.
- Perform all tasks necessary to keep facility clean and attractive – trash and litter removal, sweeping, and work site clean up. Maintain shop area in a clean, safe manner.
- Maintain and store tools, equipment, and supplies in a safe condition.
- Prepare beds for winterization by dead plant removal, transplanting, weeding and edging, fertilizing, adding peat moss and manure, and mulching.
- In the fall, remove plants and soil from baskets, planters, pots for winter storage.
- Perform landscape construction duties as needed.
- Perform duties to set up and produce special events as assigned.
- Assist Grounds crew with all Grounds maintenance and parking duties as assigned.
- Attend classes and seminars, and utilize Horticulture and Landscape publications to update and enhance job knowledge.
- Maintain a friendly, congenial, and helpful attitude while effectively dealing with guests and employees.
- Drive non-CDL shuttle on mountain roads
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities for the GROUNDS GARDENER-SKILLED position and is not intended to be an inclusive list of job tasks and expectations. With the evolution of Alterra, the responsibilities of this position may change. The GROUNDS GARDNER-SKILLED must be prepared to accept new responsibilities and transfer others.
Must be familiar with the following:
- Garden and landscape tools.
- Gas powered tiller.
- Gas powered and hand held sprayer, fertilizer dispenser.
- 4 wheel drive trucks with trailer.
- Water truck and pump.
- Small power tools.
- Chemical pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and fertilizers.
- Irrigation system.
- High school diploma or GED. College or technical school degree in Horticulture and/or Landscape Management or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in the landscape field.
- Strong background in bed layout, preparation, and maintenance. Greenhouse experience desirable.
- Experience in the operation of trucks and small equipment. Must posses a valid Colorado driver’s license with acceptable motor vehicle record.
- Familiarity with all state and federal laws applicable to the dispensing of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and fertilizers.
- Experience working with the public, preferably within the resort industry.
The base hourly pay range below represents the low and high end of Winter Park Resorts hourly pay range for this position. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to experience, education, training, location, merit system, quantity or quality of production, responsibilities, and regular and/or necessary travel. The range listed is just one component of Winter Park Resorts total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include many region-specific benefits.
hourly pay range: $12.50 – $18.00 per hour
- Must be in good physical condition; able to withstand adverse weather conditions for periods over 3 hours.
- Lift up to 50LBS
- Bend & Kneel for extended periods of the time.
- Exposure to gasoline fumes, fertilizer dust.
- Be around loud equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Indoor/Outdoor: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to harsh and varying outside weather conditions.
Hazardous Materials/Noise: Loud equipment (working around skid steer, gas powered tiller, gas powered water pump).
Exposure to pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and fertilizers.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Winter Park Resort is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition, or privilege of employment.
We do not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other status protected by state or local law.
Winter Park Resort will make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship to Winter Park Resort. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed in this position. I understand that this document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.