Job Function Technician
Education Level GED/High School
Schedule Preference FixedFlexibleWeekday
Experience Level Mid Level
Job Start Month January 2022
Job Available Until Month Year round
BenefitsCompetitive salary Ongoing training programs Employer Matching 401K Up to 4 weeks paid vacation and 6 additional public holidays off a year Health Insurance Dental Insurance AFLAC Life Insurance Incentive bonuses above flat rate Paid company uniforms Paid Tools Account Housing options available Company vehicle for qualifying positions $2500 sign on bonus for licensed journeyman plumber and NATE certified heat tech
Join our family and come work, play and live in the beautiful Colorado Rockies!
Whether you enjoy skiing, snowmobiling, fishing or hiking, Grand County is your opportunity for adventure.
Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating Company is a family owned company that has been in continuous operation for over 100 years! We’ve been serving the plumbing and heating needs of Grand County since Gus Spitzmiller, a traveling plumber, homesteaded in the Grand Lake area around 1906.
His son, Gordon Spitzmiller, carried on the business upon Gus’s retirement. Frank Appelhans came to work for Gordon in 1973. Frank took over sole ownership upon Gordon’s passing in 1990. Travis and Melissa Appelhans continue to carry on the Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating tradition.
Today, Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating is a leader in the community offering: plumbing and heating services, water treatment, well water systems and drain services. Our passion is caring for our community, team members and clients.
We are proud to have been voted best plumbing company in Grand County for over 10 years.
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training programs
- Up to 4 weeks paid vacation and 6 additional public holidays off a year
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Incentive bonuses above flat rate
- Paid company uniforms
- Paid Tools Account
- Housing options available
- Company vehicle for qualifying positions
- $2500 sign on bonus for licensed journeyman plumber and NATE certified heat tech
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The Heating Service Technician provide general HVAC installation and repair services, delivering exceptional customer service while educating the customer with regards to technical and investment decisions by providing multiple options and solutions. Services include hydronic and forced air heating systems. The Heating Service Technician will assist Grand Lake Plumbing and Heating’s install department and installation crew by educating customers about repair versus replacement options.
The essential function of the Heating Service Technician is to provide general heating service and repairs, as well as providing estimates for equipment replacement and at times assisting with or performing complete installation replacements. This position is responsible for service calls to customers in their homes and utilizes company provided training, as well as experience, to educate and assist customers in choosing the appropriate products. Specifics include the following:
- Diagnose and repair of boilers, furnaces, and “side arm” high efficiency water heaters.
- Provide excellent customer service, following the Nexstar model, 6-Step Service System.
- Exceed the customer’s expectation.
- Demonstrate the qualities, principles and ethics of Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating.
Complete all required paperwork and close tickets in a timely and accurate manner; collect payment at time of service; communicate scheduling information/needs with the Service Manager, Dispatcher, and Human Resource Manager; have a solid understanding of code and ensure all repairs or installations are code compliant or meet industry standard practice. Use of code books, peers and supervisor are encouraged to seek answers to code or industry questions. Maintain the equipment and inventory in your truck as necessary for an efficient and timely service; attend weekly morning training meetings if held; attend company or vendor training as required; maintain any necessary licenses or certifications which may apply; exhibit professional conduct at all times, whether at the job site or driving company vehicles; take the necessary precautions and steps to create a safe work environment.
- Be dependable, punctual and arrive at work with a positive attitude
- Celebrate and share both you and your crew’s successes!
- Arrive each day with a clean and professional appearance and be ready to work.
- Take responsibility appropriate for the position and the pay.
- Respect company property and wash and maintain company provided truck as necessary to maintain a clean professional appearance.
- Accurately account for materials used.
- Maintain a good truck stock to minimize material runs.
- Accurately record daily timesheets and turn in daily.
- Report safety, quality or employee concerns in a timely manner.
- Do not steal, this includes scrap material.
- Be accountable to your position and the results from your work.
- Complete work in time allotted or timely communicate the reasons work cannot be completed in the time frame allotted as well as the time and resource required to complete the work.
- Do not smoke in GLP trucks, in GLP office or warehouse, or on the customer’s property or take frequent “smoke breaks.”
- Invest in yourself and your education. Take time to study the code, read a technical article or read an installation manual on your own time if you feel it will make you more successful at your job.
- Respect our customer’s homes and their environments.
- Do good work…The kind of work a consumer will immediately recognize as good quality, craftsmanship or professionalism.
- Give great customer service.
- Communicate with your peers, supervisor and management.
- Being flexible and understanding schedule changes due to customer needs, emergencies or staffing needs.
- Follow the Code of Ethics.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This individual must be willing to pursue, develop and participate in continuing education, and you must be willing to learn if not known to effectively operate all hand tools and equipment. The technician must have necessary hand and power tools to support an efficient and professional repairs or installation. Must posses good organizational skills and be able to communicate and work well with people. The Service Technician must meet or exceed shop minimums goals. Specifics required to be successful in this position are:
- Must know local Mechanical Codes and be able to apply them in a practical manner on each job. Must be able to work with inspectors, suppliers and co-worker technicians to ensure efficient and proper repair or installation while abiding by all codes. Must be able to draw simple diagrams and be able to read wiring and piping diagrams.
- Must have a sound technical knowledge of both hydronic and forced air heating systems using the industry standard.
- In the event you sell a replacement system and the install cannot be accommodated by the install department or service call counts are slow, you may be required to perform the installation with little supervision.
- Must be capable of accurately selecting replacement equipment and components and estimating the associated labor and staple materials needed to complete the replacement.
- Must be capable of performing techniques such as soldering, pipe threading, gas leak testing and repair that may be needed for repairs of hydronic heating systems.
- · Must be capable of performing heating techniques such as basic sheet metal fabrication, low voltage control system diagnostic and installation and hydronic system purging and repair.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- 2 years of service experience that includes in-home sales.
- 2 years of experience servicing and installing hydronic/radiant baseboard, hot water heat systems.
- 2 years of experience servicing forced air furnaces and air handler units.
Must be able to read and write English well enough to read and prepare invoices, time sheets and proposals. Must be able to communicate professionally with clear and legible writing
Must be able to successfully complete a mathematical aptitude evaluation
Must be capable of applying sound business judgment to all decisions
Certificates, Licenses & Registrations
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. Vocational degree preferred.
- NATE Certification preferred.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly requires sitting, walking, bending, and lifting for prolonged periods of time.
The employee must have a full range of body movements including the use of hands feet and fingers to handle or feel objects, use tools and equipment, and must be capable of bending, reaching, and crouching.
Must have command of all five senses sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus. Must hear and speak well enough to conduct business over the telephone or face to face.
Must be able to lift up to 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical place of employment will be at 12208 US Highway 34, Grand Lake, Colorado. The area covered is rural and you will encounter winter driving conditions on mountain roads and passes. On occasion, you will be required to report to work in other areas of the region. If an overnight stay is required in a location other than Grand Lake, expenses will be covered by the company.
This position will require working indoors and outdoors in various climate conditions ranging from very cold with snow to dry summer conditions. This includes attics, crawl spaces, and confined locations. The employee may be called upon to work in customer or service production environments on an as-needed basis. The noise level in the work environment is typically moderate.
Typical work week is eight (8) to ten (10) hour workdays, five (5) days per week, but is subject to change based on the needs of the customers. This position requires an on-call rotation which may range from one night during the week and every 4th weekend (depending on the number of service technicians) and is subject to change.
In the event service call opportunities are slow, you may be required to assist Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating’s Installation Department.