Job Function Snow Maker
Education Level GED/High School
Schedule Preference Fixed
Experience Level Entry Level
Job Start Month August 2022
Job Available Until Month Year round
BenefitsFree season pass to Winter Park Season and free access to all fifteen Alterra Resorts throughout North America. Discounted tickets for your friends & family Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short term & long-term disability insurance, EAP, HSAs, FSAs for eligible employees 401(k) plan with generous company match for all employees Paid parental leave of up to 6 weeks for eligible employees Generous food & beverage and retail discounts,
WINTER PARK RESORT OVERVIEW:
Who We Are: At just 67 miles away, Winter Park is the closest major mountain destination to Denver. Don’t be fooled by our convenient location, though… you’ll feel remotely tucked away in our high-country corner of the Rockies. With easy access to 765,000 acres of public land, Winter Park is home to endless adventures and an unparalleled and unfiltered Colorado experience. Whether you are fulfilling a lifelong dream to work at a ski resort or you are just wanting a change of scene, we have great jobs and an awesome experience waiting for you!
Who We Are Looking For: Winter Park Resort is a place for mountain lovers, adventure seekers, and outdoor explorers. A place to chase new experiences, marvel at the unexpected, and discover the adventure that will keep you coming back for more. Whether you are looking to have your first taste of a winter season in the Rockies or to build a long-term career, we have something for everyone. We work to play… Are you in?
Perks & Benefits: There’s more than a free season pass waiting for you! You don’t just get a job at Winter Park, you get an experience and a lifestyle. As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy a variety of perks and benefits that are available to our year-round and seasonal employees. Some examples include:
- Free season pass to Winter Park Season and free access to all fifteen Alterra Resorts throughout North America.
- Discounted tickets for your friends & family
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short term & long-term disability insurance, EAP, HSAs, FSAs for eligible employees
- 401(k) plan with generous company match for all employees
- Paid parental leave of up to 6 weeks for eligible employees
- Generous food & beverage and retail discounts,
- Onsite employee childcare based on availability, discounted equipment rentals and plenty of opportunities for growth, advancement & year-round employment! Don’t worry the uniforms are provided!
The Snowmaking Supervisor operates Winter Park heavy construction equipment and/or snow grooming equipment with attachments. They will need to perform a complete snowmaking season and transition into grooming for the remainder of the grooming season permits. This position is only available to a fourth-year snowmaker/groomer. The Snowmaking Supervisor will operate heavy equipment in an efficient manner as needed, and grooms trails with the objective of providing an enjoyable skiing surface for guests. They will understand the capability of machinery and understand maintenance functions and gauges. In addition, they will follow all Winter Park policies and procedures, all applicable laws (federal, state, and local), and all health and sanitation codes.
- Perform pre-operation checkout and fueling of vehicle.
- Show up for work in good condition.
- Preform basic grooming functions as needed.
- Perform required work in a safe and efficient manner.
- Secure work site nightly in a reasonably safe manner, (i.e. holes marked, equipment keys removed).
- Groom/repair hazards encountered.
- Inform Director of any possible improvements to practices/procedures/policies.
- Inform mechanics of necessary repairs and/or service needed.
- Maintain accurate up-to-date logs on equipment used.
- Maintain a friendly, congenial, and helpful attitude while effectively dealing with guests, mechanics, and other employees.
- Report and correct, if possible, unsafe conditions regarding equipment and area of work, or elsewhere on the area.
- Housekeeping of assigned work/shop/equipment area.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Doze, pack, and grade trails, base area, and lift ramps.
- Transport proper equipment with attachments to job site.
- Skid, and doze ski runs, and all snow surfaces and mountain roads.
- Converse with Manager/Director about ideas for patterns that save time and eliminate double coverage.
- Possess strong knowledge of compressor function and operation.
- Strong knowledge of building, lift and pump house locations and functions.
- Groom novelties, starts, shutdowns, lift ramps, as assigned.
- Use initiative to groom unassigned terrain as needed, i.e. skier corridors, Oly Spur, and beginner trails on heavy snow nights).
- Ensures all Ride-a-longs must sign waiver.
- Positive input on Demo machines and other equipment.
- Minor periodic service and maintenance of equipment.
- Make educated decisions on moving snowmaking guns and adjusting snow conditions.
- Solid understanding of hydrant locations and pump house functions.
- Helps to train less experiences snowmakers, and direct them efficiently in and out of the field.
- Practice safe teaching methods for snowmobile, snow gun, and hydrant and pump house functions.
- Help to shut down and start up snowmaking system efficiently.
- Provide clear, strong direction to all employees and controllers.
- Demonstrate exceptional leadership for the team both personally and professionally.
- Must be able to maintain a sustainable heath standard in fast changing altitudes and workloads.
This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities and is not intended to be an inclusive list of job tasks and expectations. With the evolution of this resort and position, the responsibilities of this position may change.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Four (4) or more years in apprentice/journeyman program or equivalent in the operation and maintenance of equipment involved in job function and trail maintenance.
- Experience as snowmaker/skiing trail crew desirable.
- Flexibility with all grooming shifts.
- Possess strong knowledge of Winter Park trails and ski runs for optimal grooming desired.
- Possess strong knowledge of Winter Park Snowmaking system and all functions.
- CDL license desired.
- Four (4) or more years in all heavy equipment machines.
- Knowledge of transporting various types of equipment, and freight.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Possess a valid, non-restricted motor vehicle license.
- Able to work irregular hours and to maintain a high level of caution and common sense while performing duties.
- Have reliable transportation to work.
- Skiing/snowboarding ability desired.
- First aid desirable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
This position will require to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
- The primary physical environment in which this position works is out of doors with a high exposure level to cold, snow, wind, rain, bugs, sun, high altitude, extreme heights, lightning, etc…
- The degree of strenuous activity within the job is considered to be high. Often lifting a weight of 50 pounds throughout the day is common.
- Additional strenuous physical activity may include walking or hiking upon uneven, challenging terrain with heavy tools or equipment.
- Exposure to: Chemicals required for cleaning, de-greasing, and painting Ultra Violet radiation from the sun enhanced through lack of atmospheric filtration at work altitude. Fumes produced in activities ranging from cleaning to painting to fabrication of metal products. Noise generated by snowmobiles, lift equipment, and tools may require hearing protection to be worn.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and other employees.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily – reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
This position description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities for the role described above. With the evolution of Winter Park Resort, the responsibilities of this position may change as may the dates associated with many of the tasks. During these times of change, this position requires the flexibility and willingness to accept new responsibilities and potentially transfer others. It will also be the responsibility of any employee of Winter Park Resort to be a positive influence on the transformation of the resort and its associated lines of business.
The base hourly pay range below represents the low and high end of Winter Park Resorts hourly pay range for this position. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to experience, education, training, location, merit system, quantity or quality of production, responsibilities, and regular and/or necessary travel. The range listed is just one component of Winter Park Resorts total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include many region-specific benefits.
hourly pay range: $18.00 – $22.00 per hour